Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wholesome Tasty Bean Bake

I have a wonderful cookbook called For The Breasts of Friends, published by a group of women who have all been affected with cancer.  They collected the recipes from friends and family and over the past couple of years since I bought the book, I've added post-it notes all throughout showing the recipes that I've either already tried or are on my 'to-do' list, so it's definitely one of my go-to books when I need inspiration.

Today, with snow on the ground outside and more forecast for this evening, I was really in the mood for something warm and filling from my slow cooker, hence this bean bake.  With a bowl of bean and a roasted chicken breast on top it's the perfect meal for these cold evenings.  The only difference I made from the original recipe was to cook it longer than advised - I checked it at 3 hours (as the recipe stated), but found that the chick peas were still a little hard.










Wholesome Tasty Bean Bake
recipe book doesn't specify servings, but easily 6-8, so lots of leftovers for us :o)

8 rashers bacon, diced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 can (14 oz) red kidney beans
1 can (14 oz) pinto beans
1 can (14 oz) lima beans (I used navy beans)
1 can (14 oz) chick peas
1 can baked beans in tomato sauce (undrained)

  • rinse and drain the: kidney, pinto, lima beans and chick peas, and combine in a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
  • in a medium saucepan saute the bacon pieces until crispy; drain on a paper towel covered plate and set aside.
  • in the same saucepan (no need to wipe out bacon drippings), saute the onions until tender.
  • add brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder; mix to combine.
  • add the cooked bacon bits, baked beans and the onion mixture to the drained beans in the slow cooker and combine well.
  • cover and cook on HIGH for about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

 Tasty Bean Bake ingredients.

 combine all of the drained beans in your slow cookier.

I find the easiest way to 'dice' bacon is to cut it with scissors directly over the pan.

once you've sauted the onions, add the sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard power and garlic powder.

add the baked beans and their juice and the onion mixture.

after 4 1/2 hours it's a wonderful golden colour with a smoky, sweet flavour.

I served in a large bowl with a roasted chicken breast, sliced and sprinkled with parsley.
Delicious!!!

    1 comment: