Monday, November 8, 2010

Bread Stuffing

I had a real hankering for something savoury and stodgy today, and after searching through the fridge and pantry I decided on....stuffing.  Now, I'm probably like quite a few other people in the world, who only really make stuffing on certain holidays of the year, and I don't understand why.  It's easy, it's simple ingredients, and above all, it's delicious.  Honestly I could of probably just sat and ate the whole dish by itself, but figuring I needed to feed hubby as well when he got home I decided to add a thick layer of it on a hot turkey sandwich - YUMMY!!! 
(A big 'thank you' to my friend Ann for giving me this recipe after she served it to us at Thanksgiving dinner this year - the only change I made was to add the garlic powder.  I have a bit of an addiction to it - it goes in as many things as I can get away with :)










Bread Stuffing
enough to pack a 9x13 inch dish or stuff a 15 pound bird

1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 loaf of cheap or stale bread, cubed
2 Tbs powdered/crushed sage leaves
1 1/2 Tbs poultry seasoning
1 Tbs garlic powder
salt & pepper
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
  • in a large pan or skillet saute the onions and celery until softened.
  • add the cubed bread, sage, poultry seasoning and garlic powder.  Stir a little to combine,
  • pour over the butter and milk and mix until the dressing is moist.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.
  • add any additional milk or seasoning until it tastes as you want.
  • either stuff your chosen bird, or press it into a 9x13 inch dish.  If you want a slightly crunchy topping pop the dish in a 400 F oven for 15-20 minutes.

 cheap bread works just great for this stuffing.

I like the onion and celery chopped fairly fine.

keep the crusts on the bread, they add a nice bit of texture.

I don't put any oil in the pan to saute the vegetables, just dry-fry them on a medium heat until their slightly softened.

try not to eat it all as you stand at the stove :)

press it firmly into the dish and bake until slightly crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment