Saturday, November 20, 2010

Spicy Chicken Enchiladas

If you asked my hubby what his favourite seasonings or spices were he'd probably come up with Tabasco sauce somewhere on the list.  It's not out of the realm of possibility to have him taste-test things for me while it's in the middle of cooking, and I can tell from just the look on his face that the first thing he'll reach for if it needs a little.....kick, is the Tabasco sauce.  Although I do sometimes have to monitor him so that he doesn't go too heavy handed with it - he likes things SPICY!!!  He always enjoys these enchiladas that I make because with the mix of salsa, green chillies and Tabasco he definitely gets his spicy quota :)

I always roast the chicken breasts, just because I like that added flavour, but it works perfectly well if you want to chop the breasts and saute them before you add the vegetables to the skillet.










Spicy Chicken Enchiladas
Yields 4-6 servings

4-6 chicken breasts
chicken seasoning
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 mixed peppers, chopped or sliced
2 garlic cloves, or equivalent dried
1 cup medium salsa
1 can (127ml) green chillies, chopped
125g cream cheese, cubed
1 Tbs dried cilantro
Tabasco sauce, to taste
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
8 tortillas
  • preheat the oven to 400 F.  
  • arrange the chicken in a roasting pan, sprinkle on each side with chicken seasoning and a little olive oil, and roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender and moist.  
  • chop the cooked chicken into small (1/2 inch) pieces and set aside.
  • meanwhile reduce the oven to 350 F.
  • in a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in a little olive oil on medium heat, until softened.
  • add the chopped chicken, 1/4 cup of the salsa, green chillies, cilantro and a couple of splashes of Tabasco sauce; mix and heat until bubbling..
  • add the cubed cream cheese and 1/4 cup of grated cheddar; mix well until cheeses have melted and simmer for 5-8 minutes until thickened up slightly.
  • divide the mixture between the tortillas and roll them up. Place them into deep baking trays which have been sprayed with cooking spray, seam side down. (I used foil trays for ease and because I froze one tray before baking it - to have another day).
  • top with the remaining 3/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

 I used more chicken breasts today because they were really small, and I had one with a salad for lunch :)

sprinkle with chicken seasoning and olive oil and roast - delicious.

chop up to quite small pieces (try not to eat too much along the way - that's why I roasted an extra one!!)

love, love, love the colours.

the cream cheese soon melts into the mixture for a wonderful creamy taste.

you can make this filling in advance, and then it's even easier to roll in the tortillas.

divide the mixture and roll up in the tortillas.

I prefer thinner enchiladas, but obviously you can fill with more mixture and have big thick ones if you want.

top with salsa and grated cheese - I covered one of these with foil and froze it at this stage before baking it.

I had used up the last of my salad fixings for lunch, otherwise I would of had a nice green salad alongside.  Maybe next time :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice step by step instruction and pictures... looks delicious too:D

    ReplyDelete