Monday, November 15, 2010

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

It took me years of trial and error to get the perfect hard-boiled egg (to my taste anyway - I don't like the yolk too dry).  I would usually get them either with runny whites or the other extreme of having that horrible gray line around the yolks - eeekkk!!  I often boil up a batch of these and keep in the fridge in a bowl for all sorts of different, delicious things.  They'll stay good in the fridge for up to a week.













Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
  • place as many or as few fresh eggs as you want into a deep saucepan - try not to pack in too many, you want them to move around a little in the water.
  • add cold water to cover the eggs by about 1 inch.
  • bring the pan to a 'rolling' boil on high heat.
  • when a 'rolling' boil is reached, immediately turn off the heat.
  • leave the pan on the heating element for 10-12 minutes (depending on quantity of eggs).  I left them for 10 minutes using 7 eggs.
  • quickly cool the eggs down by running under cold water while in a colander and then leave immersed in cold water for 5 minutes to cool completely.

 make sure the water is about 1 inch above eggs.

you want a rolling boil, hard enough to move the eggs around.

immerse the boiled eggs in cold water (I leave the colander inside the saucepan, in the sink just for ease)

of course I had to peel and cut one in half, just to check they looked right.
Then I had to sprinkle a little sea salt and eat it, just to check it tasted right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment