Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mini Taco Meatloaves

I'd never had meatloaf until hubby and I moved to Canada (meatloaf isn't really a UK thing), and to be honest in the last five and a half years that we've been here, we haven't had it many times since, but I came across this recipe last year.  The original recipe actually calls for it to be cooked for about 3-4 hours on low heat in a slow cooker as one large 'loaf', which I did the first time and it came out beautifully.  I decided this time to divide the mixture into individual mini loaves and bake them in the oven instead.  That way I can freeze any leftovers easier - that was my plan anyway :)










Mini Taco Meatloaves
makes 12 mini loaves or whatever size pans you have

1 kg ground beef
2 cups tortilla chips (crushed)
1 cup cheese (grated)
1 cup salsa
1 large egg (beaten)
1 taco seasoning envelope

Topping
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 Tbsp hot sauce

  • preheat the oven to 350 F.
  • in a small bowl whisk together the 'topping' ingredients and set aside.
  • in a large bowl mix together the beef, crushed tortillas, cheese, salsa, egg and taco seasoning until well combined.
  • divide the mixture and press firmly into your preferred baking pans (I lined mine with long pieces of foil from one end to the other, for easy removal of loaves after cooking.).
  • bake for 20 minutes, remove, and spread a heaped teaspoon of the 'topping' onto each meatloaf.
  • bake for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through completely.

 I used store bought salsa, but homemade would be even better.

I used a fairly mild chili sauce, but it just depends on how hot you like things.

only one bowl to wash up - bonus :)

lining the pans with oversize foil can make it easier to pull them out when they're cooked.

pack the mixture in well.

this topping gives them a nice sweet flavour.

I served the meatloaves with sour cream topped baked potatoes, and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto.

 moist and flavourful.

leftovers are great in sandwiches or freeze for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment