Friday, November 19, 2010

Chewy Oatmeal 'CranWal' Cookies (cranberry & walnut)

A couple of years ago I came across a pretty standard oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that I adapted a little bit - exchanged the raisins to dried cranberries, and the sugar to Splenda (as I'm diabetic) - and it's been pretty much my husbands favorite cookie ever since.  If he comes home from work to a batch of those cooling on the counter, I only have to turn my back for a second and there's a significant dent in the quantity of them.  I almost have to hide them from him if I want to stand of chance of having any myself or, God forbid, give any away :o)

Well, don't tell my hubby, but I'm going to try a slightly different variation on my usual recipe - I came across this one in a magazine and it sounds yummy.  It's got a few extra ingredients that I don't usual put in so I'm looking forward to his reaction.  I'll let you know.










Chewy Oatmeal 'CranWal' Cookies
Yields about 60 cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup unsalted butter (slightly softened)
1 cup packed light brown sugar (or brown Splenda)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or white Splenda)
2 large eggs
1 Tbs honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts

  • Preheat the oven to 350 F. 
  • In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir in the oats, and set aside.
  • With an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then scrape the sides of the bowl.
  • Add the honey and vanilla and beat until blended.  Add the flour mixture in two additions, beating until well combined.
  • Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
  • Drop the dough by heaped teaspoons about 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets.
  • Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the centers of the cookies are soft and no longer look wet.
  • Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  • Hide from your significant other and......Enjoy :o)

 just as a side note, I wanted to give a little mention to the honey that I used. It's from south Vancouver Island and some of the most delectable scrumptiousness that I've ever tasted. It's AWESOME....okay, now I can continue :o)

Chewy Oatmeal 'CranWal' cookie ingredients.

mix all of the dry ingredients together.

make sure you keep scraping the sides down.

I always mix the last couple of ingredients with the mixer, but if it's too stiff, by hand works too.

the cookie dough might seem a little wet, but that just helps them spread out.

I use a small cookie / ice cream scoop to get these teaspoon heaps.

can anything looks (and smell) as good as freshly baked cookies!!

okay, just because I LOVE the look of cookies when they first come out of the oven, here's another view of them on their cookie sheets.

how do you like my new stacking cooling racks?
Bought them, along with a ridiculous amount of other kitchen goodies from Golda's Kitchen - an awesome website.


Chewy Oatmeal 'cranwal' Cookies (Cranberry & Walnut) on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Foodista widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about oatmeal cookies, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more than pleased to put your widget on here. Foodista is a new website to me so I'm very excited to explore it :o)

    ReplyDelete