Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lemon Cheesecake

I've had a sweet tooth my whole life, but unfortunately, being diabetic I can't indulge it to the extent that I would probably like to.  The best way I can control the sugar content so that I can enjoy the sweet things in life is to make them myself, and one of my all time favourite desserts is....cheesecake.  I altered this recipe from the original very slightly by decreasing the sugar from 2 cups to 1 cup and increased the eggs from 3 to 4 and it works for us - a delicious lemony decadence.










Lemon Cheesecake
makes two 9 inch cheesecakes

2 cups biscuit of choice (crumbs)
1/2 cup butter (melted)
4 bricks (8oz) cream cheese (softened)
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 lemon (juice and peel)
4 large eggs

  • preheat oven to 325 F.
  • prepare two 9 inch cake pans (with removal bases) with discs of wax paper at the bottom to stop cheesecakes from sticking.
  • mix biscuit crumbs and melted butter together; divide, and press firmly into the bottom of prepared cake tins.
  • bake the bases for 10 minutes and set aside.
  • meanwhile, in a stand mixer or by hand, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
  • add sour cream and mix well.
  • stir in the lemon juice and peel.
  • add the eggs, one at a time, on low power until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl regularly.
  • pour the mix evenly over both bases and bake for 35-40 minutes or until centres are almost set (the indent in the middle will be the approximate size of a poker chip :)
  • let cool slightly and then refrigerate for 4 hours. 
  • if you can resist not eating them both in one sitting, cut into portions, wrap individually in wax paper and foil and freeze.  

 I don't have two 9 inch pans so I used an 8 and 10 inch :)

put the biscuits (I used digestive) into a large zip lock bag and crush into crumbs using a rolling pin.

mix the crumbs with the melted butter.

press firmly into the bases.

make sure the cream cheese is soft enough to mix.

when everything is mixed, evenly distribute between the bases.

when the cheesecakes first come out of the oven they will be slightly 'puffed' up.  They will flatten as they cool.

okay, I know what I'm eating....what are you having? :)

creamy and dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment