Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sugar Cookies

Probably one of the most baked cookies during the holiday season is undoubtedly the sugar cookie.  Now I don't claim that this recipe is in any way my own - I haven't added some obscure ingredient that will set mine apart from the hundreds of other variations out there.  In fact, this is probably the most used variation if my quick search on the internet is anything to go by, but it just wouldn't be Christmas without these - it's one of the few times that I venture forth into the 'piping' world, which I apologies to you in advance.  That is without doubt, one skill that I have NOT perfected. 










Sugar Cookies
makes 40-60 depending on cutter size

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

  • in a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  • in the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy.
  • add the eggs, incorporating one at a time; then the vanilla.
  • gradually stir in the flour mixture to form a moist dough.
  • divide the dough and flatten into discs approximately 1 inch in thickness; wrap in plastic cling and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  • when ready, roll out the dough, either on a lightly floured surface or as I find easier (and not as messy), between two pieces of wax paper to 1/4 inch thickness.
  • cut out into all sorts of fun shapes and sizes and place onto ungreased cookie sheets about an inch apart.
  • place the cookie sheets back into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to harden the dough back up slightly (this will stop the cookies from spreading too much and losing their shapes).
  • meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 F.
  • when the cookies have firmed back up bake for 6-8 minutes; leave to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  • once the cookies are completely cool you can pipe them if you feel so inclined; combine 2 cups of confectioners sugar, 1 egg white and 1 tsp of lemon juice to form the royal icing.  Place into a piping bag with a small thin nozzle (or because I don't have one of those, I just used a small ziploc bag with a tiny piece of a corner cut away!), and let your imagination go :)   I also decorated some of the smaller cookies by melting chocolate in the microwave and placing the tines of a fork that had been dipped in the chocolate across the top of each cookie (see last photo).

 Sugar Cookie ingredients.

just before I add the flour mixture.

make into 3 discs, wrap in plastic film and refrigerate.

meanwhile decide what shape cookies you're going to make - I've managed to accumulate quite the collection.

I went with these - small star, tree, gingerbread man and snowman, and large gingerbread man, snowman and 'quirky' house :)

work with one disc at a time - I find it easier to roll the dough between two pieces of wax paper (it's a lot cleaner too :)

roll to about 1/4 inch thickness.

the gingerbread men and snowmen are out to play!

cool them completely before decorating.

if you have fresh lemons use them, but I don't always have them on hand, so the bottle kind works fine in the royal icing.

as I mentioned, piping ISN'T my forte.
(the 'SHAW' in the middle is because these were made for my hubby to take to work, and that's who he works for :)

 some of the smaller cookies got a decoration of a fork dipped into melted chocolate across the top - this little guy tried to get away from his friends, but the punishment is severe in our house for desertion!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment