Thursday, December 9, 2010

Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo

A couple of weeks ago hubby and I met a good friend of ours for dinner at a local restaurant that we hadn't been to before called the Fluid Bar & Grill.  We'd had a couple of good reviews from other friends, so when the opportunity arose, this was a good choice for us.  Now I'm a very indecisive person when it comes to menus - hubby often jokes that even if there were only three things on a menu, I'd still be the last one to decide what to have.  Of course, if there were only three things, I'd probably order all three just so I wouldn't miss out on anything.  Unfortunately I can't do that in most places - although I'm sure they wouldn't object as long as I paid for them - I think hubby might have an issue with that though,don't you :o).

Anyway, in the end I ordered a delicious bowl of smoked chicken fettuccine alfredo, and I have to admit it was one of the best pasta dishes that I'd ever had at a restaurant.  I don't usually order pasta when I'm out, basically because I just can't comprehend the cost of them most of the time, knowing how economical they can be to make at home, but that particular night the alfredo dish just kept leaping out at me from the page.

Ever since then, I've had a hankering for that rich, creamy, cheesy decadence again, but we haven't had an opportunity to get back to the restaurant, so tonight I thought I'd reproduce it at home - albeit without the smoked chicken (we had some deli turkey sausages that I used instead) - it came out pretty good too, if the wiped clean bowls were any indication!










Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo
serves 2-4 (depending on appetite!)

8oz  fettuccine pasta
4oz  (1/2 brick) cream cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried basil
pinch salt & pepper
1-2 deli, cooked turkey sausages (or other sausage / roast chicken - your choice)

  • bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, and cook pasta as package instructions.
  • meanwhile, combine all other ingredients, except the sausages, in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat and stir until smooth and creamy.
  • add the sausage to the sauce for a couple of minutes to heat through completely.
  • drain the pasta.  Add it to the sauce and combine well.
  • serve in deep bowls to catch the sauce, with a little grated parmesan over the top if desired.

 Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo ingredients.

it's such an easy sauce to make - just throw everything in together and heat.

we had these flavourful turkey sausages from our local deli - slightly smoky, so a really nice undertone to the dish, but use anything you have or even nothing - the sauce and pasta are delicious on there own.

once the sauce is smooth and creamy, add the sausages (you can just make them out poking through the sauce).

mmmmmmmm.......

No comments:

Post a Comment