Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

A couple of weeks ago I made some chewy oatmeal 'cranwal' cookies for my hubby - he enjoyed them (I loved them), but he has an all time favourite cookie that I started baking a couple of years ago (after tweaking the ingredients quite a few times), that no matter what else I try, he always wants me to go back to.  He's a great guinea pig to have for all my culinary endeavours so I figure I'd better keep him happy with his favourite treat :o).










Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
makes about 45-50, 3" cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup Splenda (or sugar if you prefer - I'm diabetic so use Spenda in these)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup dried cranberries

  • preheat the oven to 350 F.
  • in a medium bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ and baking powder; set aside.
  • in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
  • add the eggs and vanilla and mix well, scraping down the sides occasionally.
  • add the flour mixture, in batches until blended thoroughly.
  • either with the mixer or by hand mix in the oats and cranberries.
  • drop heaping teaspoons of cookie dough onto cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
  • bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown.
  • leave to cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.

 Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies ingredients.

mix the flour, wheat germ and baking powder together.

cream the butter and sugars - don't forget to scrape down the sides.

I usually start stirring in the oats with my stand mixer, but it can get quite 'stiff' near the end, so you may need to hand mix the last little bit.

stir the cranberries really well into the cookie dough.

drop heaped teaspoons onto the cookie sheets - I don't worry too much about the shape, they spread a little bit as they bake, but if you want more uniform cookies the dough is stiff enough to form into balls and flatten slightly.

let them cool for a little bit on the cookie sheets, then they don't stick and are easy to handle.

hubby was very pleased to find his favourites when he got home :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment