Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sour Cream Berry Muffins

While I rummaged through my freezer the other day in search of the berries to make my raspberry crumble squares I also came across a couple of Ziploc bags full of blueberries that I had forgotten I had in there (I really must sort the freezers out!!).  Originally I was going to make something similar to the crumble squares, just because they came out SO awesome and both hubby and I loved them, but then I decided that I haven't made any muffins for a while.  There's nothing quite like a soft, berry-licious muffin.  I opted for a combination of blueberries and raspberries just because.....I could :o)










Sour Cream Berry Muffins
makes 12

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 (8oz) carton sour cream
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries and/or blueberries (or any berries that you have)
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

  • preheat oven to 375 F, and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners (or grease if you prefer).
  • in a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  • beat the butter with an electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds.
  • add the 1 cup of sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
  • add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
  • alternatively add the flour mixture and sour cream, stirring until mixture is moistened.  Don't over beat it.
  • spoon a little batter into each prepared cup to about one third full.
  • divide half of the berries between the muffin cups and spoon the remaining batter into the cups.
  • top with the remaining berries.
  • in a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a little over each muffin.
  • bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until golden brown - cover with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning if needed.
  • cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing and either cooling completely, or serve still warm.

 Sour Cream Berry Muffin ingredients.

after I had blended the butter and sugar in the stand mixer, I found it easier to mix in the flour and sour cream by hand.

even before they're baked, you just know that all those berries are going to be divine.

mmmmmmm.....

the perfect muffin - soft and moist on the inside, crunchy on the top.

YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment