Saturday, December 18, 2010

Spicy Mini Meatballs

I LOVE MEATBALLS!!!!
There, I've said it.  I just wanted that to be out in the open and for you all to hear it from me first - I love them hot, cold, baked, bubbling in marinara sauce, over pasta, in a sub....hey, slap them on a flip flop and I'd still probably eat them (thanks Guy Fieri for that analogy :)

Whenever I make my own meatballs I tend to have a basic ingredients list and then I get to the spices and stand for about 10 minutes in front of my spice rack (i.e. a large Tupperware container in the pantry) to decide which way I want to take them; italian seasoning for that subtle aromatic flavour, mesquite for a more smoky hint, maybe cajun for that spicy 'slap'.  Today, after enlisting the opinion of my hubby by thrusting various tubs under his nose and asking "what do you want your meatballs to taste like?", we went with the cajun and a huge hit it was too, if I do say so myself.  This mix would also make great meatloaf or even burgers - maybe mini sliders!! :o)










Spicy Mini Meatballs
makes 80-90 mini meatballs (1-1 1/2 inch diam)

1 kg  ground beef
3/4 cup quick cook oats
1 cup milk
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs cajun seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

  • line a couple of rimmed baking trays with wax paper and set aside.
  • in a large bowl combine ALL the ingredients and with clean hands mix thoroughly until it resembles an almost pate consistency.
  • form the mixture into 1-1 1/2 inch diam balls (the size of a small walnut), and place on the prepared baking tray.
  • at this stage you can freeze the meatballs on their trays, and once frozen pack in ziploc bags in individual or 2 person servings for future meals.
  • to cook, defrost and either pan fry in a little oil or, as I like to do, place in a baking dish and bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through but still moist.
  • these can be eating as bite size appetizers on toothpicks, mixed with marinara sauce over pasta, or as we had them for lunch today as open-faced meatball subs.

Spicy Mini Meatball ingredients - oops, it wasn't until after I'd downloaded my photos that I realised I hadn't included the main ingredient in this shot - the ground beef!!!

begin throwing everything in one big bowl - don't you just love recipes like that? :)

you can mix it all together using a spoon if you really don't like to get your hands all gooey.

when it's at an almost pate stage it's ready to form.

pinch off a little mixture and roll between your palms to make 'balls'.

place them all onto the prepared trays ready to either cook or freeze - I managed to get 88 out of today's batch and don't they look adorable :)

yummy, cajun goodness!!!!

    1 comment:

    1. I love meatballs! This is my childhood favorite! I miss making some!
      oak dining room table

      ReplyDelete