Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taco Seasoning

If you're anything like me, no matter how organised you are or would like to think you are, once in a while you start making something for dinner only to discover that, oops!!!.... you're missing that one ingredient that will make all the difference as to whether you carry on with what you'd planned or if the take-out menus come out of the drawer.  Mine tends to be taco seasoning for some reason - although I can go from one extreme to another by either having no packets on hand or about half a dozen (what can I say, I'm a sucker for bulk buying!). 

So after searching the 'world wide web' and finding, oh, about a GAZILLION different links for taco seasoning, I looked at my spice shelf to see what I had on hand and came up with the following concoction.  Hubby especially likes quite spicy foods so I went a little heavier on the cayenne and red pepper flakes that other people might like, but it's a good base to be able to add or subtract to your own personal preference.










Taco Seasoning
produces just over a cup in quantity

2 Tbs cumin
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs sea salt
2 Tbs ground black pepper
2 Tbs onion powder
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp oregano

  • place all of the spices into a bowl and blend well.
  • use 1 Tablespoon of seasoning to 1 Pound of meat as a guide, but adjust to your own personal preference.

 Taco Seasoning ingredients

place all the spices in a bowl (some are buried underneath!)....

....and blend together well.

store in a screw top jar or a Ziploc bag - I'm giving some away as gifts so I divided the mixture into small (125ml) jars.

ready for Taco Tuesdays....or any other day when the urge takes you!!!


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I think you described me there. I was making risotto the other day and after doing all the prep realised I had no stock powder! I had to improvise and use the flavour sachet out of 2 minute noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good recovery Claire :o)
    Some of my best discoveries have come from having to substitute ingredients at the last minute because I haven't checked my pantry. Hopefully the risotto came out even better than usual :o)

    ReplyDelete