Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pancakes

Whether you call it Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Malasada Day or anything else, in many households today is the day that pancakes will make an appearance (of course they may already be a regular addition to your meal plans, but even so, today especially calls out for them :o)

I have fabulous memories of being a child, coming home from school and standing next to my Mum at the stove while she made batch after batch of the more traditional English pancakes - thin and crepe like - sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice, and eaten straight off the plate while standing waiting for the next one to be ready.  Eventually my brother, Dad, Mum and I would all be stood there playfully arguing who's turn it was to devour the next piping hot disc of goodness.  Since moving to Canada though, I have to admit that my taste has changed slightly.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I would be the first in line if Mum was here making her production line of large, lacy pancakes, but if I'm making them myself I'm much more inclined to have the batter thicker so that I can get those smaller, fluffy circles of deliciousness bubbling away in my skillet.

Whichever way you like to make them I hope you enjoy a plate full of pancakes tonight...










Pancakes
makes approx 8 pancakes (4" diam)

3/4 cup milk
2 Tbs white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbs butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
cooking spray
banana and honey (to garnish)

  • combine the milk and white vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to 'sour' slightly.
  • in a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt:  set aside.
  • to the milk mixture add the egg, melted butter and vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
  • pour the flour mix over the wet mix and whisk thoroughly until all the lumps are gone.
  • let the batter stand for about 10 minutes to thicken up.  DON'T whisk it again before pouring.
  • heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
  • using a 1/4 cup measure, pour the batter into the heated skillet to form 3 or 4 pancakes, depending on the size of your skillet.
  • watch the pancakes closely, and once you begin to see bubbles forming on the surface flip them and brown the other side.
  • serve them with your favourite toppings.  Today I went for sliced banana and local honey....yummy!!!

 Pancake ingredients.

add the white vinegar to the milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

mix all the dry ingredients together.

add the egg, melted butter and vanilla to the 'soured' milk.

add the flour mix to the wet mix...

...and whisk to remove any lumps.

drop 1/4 cup measures into your prepared skillet.

when you start to see lots of bubbles on the surface you know that they're ready to flip.

perfect!!!!

I sliced a banana and poured a little wildflower honey over mine today - scrumptious.

make sure you leave the batter for about 10 minutes before you pour it, and DON'T whisk it - that way your pancakes will come out light and fluffy :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment