Monday, March 14, 2011

Easy Peasy Pie Crust

I've always been a little daunted at making pie crust.  There are so many things that can go wrong and having had a few of those disasters in the past my go-to method now is either to find someone who's willing to make it for me or as is more likely, buy them pre-made and already rolled out from the freezer section of our local grocery store - soooo much easier and less stressful for me.

However, saying that, tonight I wanted to use up a block of Camembert cheese that I had in the fridge and I have a wonderful recipe for a cheese, tomato and ham pie that is delicious.  Alas, I have no pie crusts in the freezer, but I remembered coming across this simple recipe by DoctorRoux on the Tasty Kitchen website and thought I would give it a try.  It worked perfectly!!!!  Flaky and light - hard to believe that it's only 4 ingredients!!!










Easy Peasy Pie Crust

makes a 9 inch pie bottom

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tbs milk

  • put the flour in the centre of a 9 inch pie plate and make a 'well' in the centre (I have a glass Pyrex one, but whatever you have will be fine)
  • pour into the 'well' the salt, vegetable oil and milk.
  • with a fork, mix everything together until it's all incorporated and forms a clumpy, crumbling texture.
  • using your fingers, press the 'dough' into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
  • refrigerate until ready to use - there's no need to bake before assembling your pie.

 Pie Crust ingredients

put the flour into the pie plate and make a well in the centre; into the well, pour the salt, vegetable oil and milk

mix with a fork until everything is incorporated

using your fingers press the 'dough' around the bottom and sides of the pie plate

refrigerate until you're ready to use.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment