Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gingered Pepper Steak

After my unsuccessful baking endeavour earlier today (see my mini Nutella cupcakes) I decided that I wanted something quick and easy for dinner tonight and there's nothing quicker than a stir fry.  Flank steak is usually one of the best for stir fries, but the only steaks I had in the freezer to defrost were a couple of sirloins, so I used them instead (anything you've got on hand or easy to get hold of would work).


Gingered Pepper Steak
Yields 4 servings

2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce (I've become quite addicted to the organic Japanese soy sauce Tamari, so I use that)
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 lb beef steak, finely sliced
2 red or green peppers, julienned (I actually didn't have any fresh peppers tonight, so I used a jar of roasted red!!)
1 tsp vegetable oil

  • In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ginger, soy sauce and vinegar until smooth.
  • Add beef and toss to coat; set aside. This can be done a couple of hours in advance if you have time so the the beef can marinate.
  • In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the peppers (if using fresh) in oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon.
  • Add the beef with marinade to the pan; stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness.  Return peppers (or add roasted jarred) to pan; heat through.
  • Serve over hot cooked rice or other accompaniment of choice. 

      It began smelling good even this early.

      I marinated the steak for about 4 hours in the end.

      I just love roasted red peppers.

      Looking good :o)

      I hardly wanted to stop long enough to take the photo.
      Yummy!!!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment