Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chewy Butterscotch Cookies

I had all intentions today of baking my husbands favourite cranberry oatmeal cookies while he was at work, but alas my plans had to get changed when I went to the pantry to find a) not enough oatmeal, and b) no cranberries!!  Sorry, honey, but I'll have to try again when I replenish the pantry :o)

So I decided to 'wing it' slightly with this one, and quite frankly they came out pretty good if I do say so myself.  Chocolate chips were going to be my next choice but, yeah, you guessed it - no chocolate chips either (I really do need to do a grocery shop), so instead what I found were butterscotch chips.  If I make these again I would probably put maybe another cup of oatmeal in, but then they might not come out as chewy as these did, so I don't know yet.  I've written the recipe below exactly as I made them, so you'll all have to try them yourselves and make your own alterations.  Enjoy :o)










Chewy Butterscotch Cookies
Yields about 50 cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips

  • Preheat oven to 375 F.
  • In a mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for about 30 seconds.
  • Add both sugars, baking soda and salt and beat until combined, scraping down edges occasionally.
  • Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.  
  • Add flour and mix.  Add oats and butterscotch chips and mix until combined (you may have to mix by hand near the end to incorporate everything.)
  • Cookie dough is quite sticky but form into teaspoon size balls or drop by heaped teaspoons, 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand on cookie sheets for 1 minute and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

       goodness, I'm so organised at times :o)

      don't forget to scrape down the edges - which I did right after this shot :o)

      I sometimes worry at this stage because it doesn't always look very appetising.

      looking like tasty little soldiers.

      they always look so pretty straight out of the oven, I hardly want to disturb them.

      I hardly let them cool enough before the coffee was on!!!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment