Saturday, May 28, 2011

'Mug' Chocolate Cake

Most of us like (or love!) chocolate cake, but unless it's a special occasion, if you're anything like me it doesn't get made very often - you might make the odd batch of chocolate cupcakes to appease your chocolate cake hormonal gods, but that's about it.

Well now you can have your chocolate cake and eat it, every day if you want!!
I came across this recipe in a new cookbook that I bought recently and wanted to try it because basically I didn't believe that it would work or that it would be any good - well, I couldn't of been more wrong.  If you're looking for a fast, last minute, warm, moist, delicious chocolate cake then look no further. You may be as sceptical as I was when you read it, but go on, give it a try and you'll be thanking me, I promise :o)

I have some large Christmas mugs that I use, and quite honestly just making one is enough for hubby and I with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice-cream for dessert.  I usually make it and eat it while it's still warm, but we had a couple with friends a few weeks ago and they're just as nice once they've cooled down.










'Mug' Chocolate Cake
makes 1 'large mug' cake

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs cocoa powder
1 large egg
3 Tbs milk
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
  • whisk everything together in a large mug until smooth.
  • microwave on full power for about 2 minutes until puffed (1 min, 50 seconds is good for my microwave)
  • either eat straight from the mug, or tip out and enjoy with vanilla ice cream.  
  • if you want a little bit of molten 'sauce' on top of the cake when you tip it out, reduce the cooking time by a couple of seconds.
 'Mug' Chocolate Cake ingredients.

put everything into a large mug and whisk....

...until smooth.

microwave for about 2 minutes until puffed.

tip out and if you've got the timing right you'll have a delicious molten 'sauce'.

we find that just one 'mug' serving is enough for two people alongside some good vanilla ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment