Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chicken Chow Mein

If you've been following my foodie blog long enough you'll know that I have a huge affinity for 'one-pot' meals, whether it's using one of my slow cookers, or having a casserole bubbling in the oven or as here, using a large skillet for a stir-fry.  I used what I had on hand for this one, but obviously combinations of whatever you have or your favourites can be substituted.










Chicken Chow Mein
4 servings

1 Tbs vegetable oil
3-4 chicken breasts, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup frozen peas
4 cups chinese style noodles
2 Tbs cornstarch
4 Tbs soy sauce (I use Tamari)
4 cups baby spinach

  • in a small bowl combine the cornstarch and soy sauce and set aside.
  • using a large skillet over medium to high heat, cook the chicken in the oil until no longer pink (I actually used some chicken that I had already roasted earlier in the day just because it was available, but whichever you have is great).
  • add the peppers and onion and saute for a couple of minutes until they've softened slightly.
  • pour in the vegetable stock and frozen peas, mix well, cover and let bubble for 5 minutes.
  • add the noodles and mix well..
  • pour in the soy sauce mixture and stir to coat everything.
  • simmer for a couple of minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
  • turn off the heat and fold in the baby spinach to wilt it.
  • serve and enjoy :o)

 Chicken Chow Mein ingredients.
(I used some chicken breasts that I had roasted earlier in the day)

Oops, I forgot to add the baby spinach to the ingredients photo....here it is :o)

slice the chicken and the veggies into fairly uniform pieces.

saute the chicken, peppers and onion until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies have softened.

the chinese noodles are hard to begin with, but they soon soften up with a little liquid and heat.

it only takes about 30 seconds to wilt the spinach right at the end before you serve.
Yummy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment