Friday, January 7, 2011

Vanilla Extract

If you're anything like me, you probably use vanilla extract like it's going out of fashion.  In all these years though I've never actually made it myself, which seems mind boggling to me seeing as it's so easy and there's usually a very special place reserved in my freezer for the vodka bottle!!!

So here it is, the beginning of homemade vanilla extract - I didn't have as much vodka as I thought I had left (oops!!), so I'll get some more on the weekend and top the bottle up enough to cover the vanilla beans, but you'll get the idea.  I'll also keep you posted on how it develops over time.










Vanilla Extract

2 cups (approx) vodka
2-4 vanilla beans
1 bottle or jar with screw lid

  • using a sharp knife slice the vanilla beans down the length, leaving about an inch attached at one end.
  • place the vanilla into the bottle or jar that you're going to use (I think my bottle used to have BBQ sauce in it at one time, but not too sure - it's about 425ml volume)
  • pour in enough vodka to cover the vanilla beans, and screw the lid on tightly.
  • keep in a cool place away from directly heat or light.
  • shake the bottle vigorously every couple of days for 3-4 weeks, until the flavour has intensified and the colour has become darker.
  • as you use the vanilla extract, top up with more vodka when the volume gets down to about 1/4; bearing in mind that the intensity won't be as strong for a while.
  • the vanilla beans should last about a year before you'll want to replace them with new ones.

 Vanilla Extract ingredients.

slice the vanilla beans so that the delicious little 'seeds' can infuse into the vodka.

once I get some more vodka I'll top it up enough to cover the vanilla beans completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment