Saturday, June 11, 2011

Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms

I have to admit that these little stuffed gems came as a nice surprise to my usually mushroom hating tastebuds - okay, 'hating' might be too harsh a word as I do like mushrooms in very small quantities mixed in with other things (I think it's the sometimes 'slimy' texture that I've always been adverse to.)  I made these for my hubby though, as he is a HUGE mushroom lover and they looked soooo good that I had to try some myself - delish!!!

Apologies that there isn't a final 'baked' photo - I was so excited how they turned out and couldn't wait to try them that I completely forgot - oops!!!  Next time I make them I'll try to remember and add it back here :o)










Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
makes about 12-15

12-15 large mushrooms (our local store actually had ones called 'stuffers' because there's a large cavity when you take the stems out)
4 oz garlic and herb cream cheese, softened
2 oz blue cheese
6 drops Tabasco hot sauce
pinch salt & pepper
6-8 slices of thick cut bacon

  • using a damp cloth clean the tops of the mushrooms and remove the stems.
  • in a medium bowl crumble the blue cheese, add the garlic and herbs cream cheese and mix to combine thoroughly.
  • add the Tabasco, salt and pepper and mix again.
  • divide the cheese mixture evenly amongst the mushrooms to fill each cavity.
  • cut each slice of bacon in half and wrap each half around a mushroom, securing it using a toothpick through the sides.
  • place in a high sided dish (I used a disposable foil tray) and either bake in a 400 degree oven or in a covered BBQ for 15-17 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and the filling has melted.

 Stuffed Mushrooms ingredients.

clean the tops of the mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove the stems.

crumble the blue cheese into a medium bowl...

add the garlic and herb cream cheese, Tabasco, salt and pepper and mix well.

divide the mixture between the mushrooms, stuffing the cavities well.

wrap 1/2 a slice of bacon around each mushroom and secure with a toothpick through the sides.

Then bake or BBQ for 15-17 minutes until the bacon is cooked....photo to hopefully follow shortly - we ate them before I could get a shot :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment